After a few years of banging my head against the wall with my old blog hosted on WordPress I’ve finally re-launched this site. My intention with the WordPress site was to focus on the content and not to do any development for it. I did follow this plan and did not develop anything for the site, using only the options configurable in the custom theme I bought (see I cheated anyway).
The problem was that I found the interface to be frustrating to use because I didn’t need all the features. I just needed a place to write and something that would let me use a proper text editor rather than some in-browser thing.
There are quite a few static blog generators out there that pick up Markdown formatted files and will output html and these were right up my alley. I feel that the pendulum of complexity is swinging back to simple file formats after many years of dealing with proprietary formats, or with having content stuck in a database somewhere.
So I put together this site with Hugo and one of the themes from the gallery there. It’s hosted in Azure where I get some monthly credits so doesn’t cost my anything out of pocket.
This is also the first post for the #100DaysToOffload challenge. I’ve got quite a bit on my plate so we’ll see how it goes to blog every 3.65 days.